Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PQVarus

New Johnson Question

17 posts in this topic

Hello all,

Thanks for allowing me to post on this forum. I recently purchased a 1941 Johnson, and I have a few questions I'm hoping you can help me with. The barrel doesn't have a bayo lug. Do you think it's a postwar conversion? That was my initial assumption, but the front sight seems to match an early 1941 as seen in Johnson's Rifles and Machine Guns, pg 88. I've attached a few pics. Any insight you can give would be greatly appreciated. IMG_20160905_141537079.jpg

IMG_20160905_141544675.jpg

IMG_20160905_141605137.jpg

IMG_20160905_141646301.jpg

Added info:

Bolt is matching. No JA inspection marks or caliber on the barrel itself, but has SN 6376E at the breach and 30-06/41 on the guide collar. 

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your purchase.

It is hard to tell by your pictures/description but it sounds like you are just missing the bayonet lug. There is currently one for sale on gun broker or maybe Joseph Scott has one.

Also, you say the bolt is matching? As far as I know, no Johnson left the factory with matching numbers. Since your rifle doesn't have a prefix, the records are available for every part your rifle had when it left the factory.

Wayne

Until the other guys chime in we can tell you this: The barrel is most likely a post war replacement, 1st, no bayo lug and it doesn't look like it was ever there. 2nd is the half moon cut out just in front of the guide collar. Not sure what was originally pinned there but i don't think it was Johnson stuff. Bayo lugs are around, gun broker or maybe Sarco, or possibly Joe Scott.  It is possible that the bolt did match, there were a few just by luck of the draw. Once one of the guys can run your # this will tell. Otherwise it looks like a nice rifle. Make sure to check the length of your recoil spring if you plan to shoot it. If it does not measure 12 in. Joe Scott sells excellent replacements for a good price.

Be patient there are alot of guys here with alot of knowledge that will chime in soon.

Ryche

Thanks for the responses and advice. I'll check the spring when I get home from work. This is a completely new animal for me. Saw it at a gun shop and was an impulse buy. Now to enjoy the research and conversation sure to follow. Cheers!

Dennis

PQ,

You didn't say which state you  reside in. The so called 94 weapons ban remove bayonet lugs from rifles on the federal level and the democratic states followed suit. Once removed one is not to suppose to replace this lug and it would not be legally sold in the state you reside or any other state with this ban. If you want one Gun parts may have them but I'm not sure they will ship to you. All I can say we have to live with the laws we have now.  VOTE!  change is a comin ! Walt

You have a replacement bbl made from a Garand bbl.  What gives it away is the groove for the front band pin.  If you remove the bbl you will probably see remnants of the hand guard clip grooves.  These were common replacements by Winfield Arms in the 50's.  Most of them were on Winfield Standard Sporters which were restocked JSARs with replacement bbls without the bayonet lug.  The stock on yours is a military configuration (as opposed to sporter) stock.

If you are in AZ. thre is no problem with a bayo lug. Find one and get it put on :)

What part of the state do you live in? I'm up north in Prescott.

Ryche

You should come to Phoenix the 1st weekend of Dec. for the SAR show. It goes for 3 days, 5 buildings and 4 carnival tents.

It is worth the trip. I see some Johnsons and occasionally some parts there.

Ryche

Yes it would be but if she is into guns as well it can get expensive.

Any year my wife comes with me it usually runs me around $1000 to cover her choices :)

Ryche