Blueheeler

Debugging a new rifle

16 posts in this topic

Bought an M1941 recently on GB. Its in pretty good shape but has a few bugs I'm working through-

First, the bolt hold open was missing so I replaced it with one from SARCO, works fine so I got lucky there.

Secondly, the firing pin washer was loose and the FP spring is missing. I fixed the washer by using an enfield c-clamp sight pusher to crimp the washer in place (hopefully the picture shows). I have a spring on order from Numrich.

Lastly, I want check the mainspring but the cap is tight as a drum, I assume it just unscrews but dont want to butcher it. Any suggestions for getting the cap off?

Thanks,VWiLKBU.jpg

Heres the rifle

oIXbTE6.jpg

I would try to squirt some oil down the mainspring follower end of the tube, let it soak and bit and try again.  I do use a very large screw driver.  I’ve had some tight ones, but never any that we’re stuck.

Kroil works very well and you only need a small amount. Just be careful not to get any on your stock finish. I use an old syringe to apply it or a eye dropper works also.

I modified a truck tie-rod tool (looks like a large 1" screwdriver bit, 1/2" drive) by grinding to fit the slots.  With breaker bar handle, even tight ones  come loose.

Even if you have to make one...use a tool that fits perfectly in the slot of the main tube end cap. Make it tight...use a grinder to make the fit perfect. Then put something like a crescent wrench on the tool to apply counter clockwise rotation while holding the makeshift "screw driver" down tight.

If you can fashion something that fits tight you might be able to use a hand struck impact driver similar to ones used on motorcyles.

Take your time, don't let the tool rotate out of the slot. After unscrewing it the first time you can use some "anti-seize" to make the next time easier.

I made a similar tool years ago for the timing inspection cover on a Harley Davidson, and still have the tool today.

Just make sure that whatever you use fits the slot entirely....end to end and side to side.

Thanks for the advice. I ordered a drag link socket from ebay for ten bucks. I am afraid if I get the FAL tool I would be compelled to get a FAL to go along with it!

Blueheeler: really nice find! wish you the best with the fixes....as for the FAL tool yielding a FAL in the gun closet....you know what they say...put a .22 and a .44 in the same closet and after the correct gestation period you will end up with a .303 or .35 depending upon sex of the offspring...and by the way, I really like your 'rifle stand' !!!

2 hours ago, ArtR said:

Blueheeler: really nice find! wish you the best with the fixes....as for the FAL tool yielding a FAL in the gun closet....you know what they say...put a .22 and a .44 in the same closet and after the correct gestation period you will end up with a .303 or .35 depending upon sex of the offspring...and by the way, I really like your 'rifle stand' !!!

Thanks, another view of the "stand"

h3YbwoS.jpg

Very nice 'parade' vehicle...should go well with a JSAR, tho I do like the Carbine&Scabbard!

Looks like a '44 to '46 jeep.....with all the right trimmings, including the shovel, etc......beautiful. This model was the first vehicle I ever learned to drive. Glad to see your Johnson Rifle matches it so well.....

1 hour ago, Ed Johnson said:

Looks like a '44 to '46 jeep.....with all the right trimmings, including the shovel, etc......beautiful. This model was the first vehicle I ever learned to drive. Glad to see your Johnson Rifle matches it so well.....

Thanks! I spent some time restoring it. The unit markings are my father's unit from WWII, the 90th infantry division "Tough Hombres".

WILLYS MP model? Do you have year? Nice piece of history you can be proud of, along with your new found toy!

That is a really nice Jeep would love to have something like that i work with guys that  have restored muscle cars they laugh at me when i tell them i want a WWII Jeep

Obtain a dummy Browning LMG, mount it on a pedestal on the rear floor, and confront your critics to see if they are still laughing........

If i had a choice between a 426 Plymouth Road Runner  and that Jeep i would take the Jeep hands down really nice WWII Jeep thank you for posting  the picture