Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joseph Scott

Hurricane Laura missed me

6 posts in this topic

The hurricane went ashore about 70 miles east of me.  No damage except no power, been on outdoor generators for 3 days. Lots of pictures of Lake Charles damage on internet. Look at what 150mph winds do.  Joe

Glad you are OK. And it pays to have generators, with enough fuel for a week.

Joe

WIshing you the best. We in the NorthEast also know and appreciate the value of a good standby generator, and sufficient fuel.

Some people question the sanity of it all, but they probably do not have home insurance either.

Some of the photos and videos are amazing.

Hope all who were in harms way are doing well.

ArtR

Joseph,

Glad you are ok and have a generator.  One of the smartest things we ever did.  Back in 2007 we had an ice storm and were without power for a week.  In the previous 40 years we were often without power but never more than a day or so but in recent years, the power companies began to pool their crews rather than maintaining their own  locally.,  When a crew came, they were often from Georgia or North Carolina and it was several days later.  We put in a 16 KW natural gas automatic whole house unit.  I am too old to rough it or do it the hard way.

B 

Brian: I agree with you on our being too old to rough it, especially during the winter storms. While I have a whole house standby generator, it is one that I attach to my tractor. I can have it attached to the tractor and house and be up and running in under 20 minutes. And, as with most 'major storms', we have enough advance warning that I never worry about having to setup in inclement weather. I always make sure , if a storm is forecast, that I have enough fuel on hand and I set the unit up and have it in place beforehand. Some question my sanity in doing it that way, but for me, I only have to maintain one engine, and I am almost guaranteed that the diesel tractor will start, first time, every time, as that engine is always used and maintained. An ounce of prevention is worth 100 pounds of cure. Like house insurance, we all hope to never have to use it. But also like house insurance, it is sure nice and comforting to know that it is there. (Photo 5726 is of my genset running after a wild spring storm in May 29, 2012. Photo 4691 is my genset setup and prepared for Hurricane Irene on Aug 27, 2011)

IMG_5726a.JPG

IMG_4691a.JPG

Brian, how long ago did you put in your genset and what was the ballpark cost for everything? E-mail me if you prefer. A local minister needs something for his retirement home and he is our age as well.