ArtR

Happy Independence Day - July 4, 2023

9 posts in this topic

As I sit here contemplating what has occurred over the past many years, I worry that many have lost sight of our founding fathers vision, insight, worries, and concerns.

First was the beginning of the Revolutionary War and later the Declaration of Independence, July 4, 1776.

This was followed on November 15, 1777, by the Articles of Confederation and Perpetual Union.  These Articles were fraught with problems, and while the Continental Congress governed our young country for a while, by 1786 a proper  Constitution was deemed necessary.

The First Constitutional Convention began May 25, 1787, and a document was created. On September 17, 1787, based upon Article VII, it was sent to the 13 colonies for ratification by at least 9 of the 13.

So much was considered and written into  the Constitution itself, and also, with very deep thought, to what was missing. That was a list of rights to be amended to the Constitution. The  original Constitution was only ratified by 9 of the 13 colonies with the understanding that at the 1st Congress, those amendments would be considered and included. Originally opposed by James Madison, this list of rights was later championed by him when ratification of the Constitution was in jeopardy.

On June 21, 1788, New Hampshire became the 9th state to ratify the Constitution and it became the  law of the land. On May 29, 1790, Rhode Island became the last of the 13 original colonies to ratify the Constitution

September 15, 1789, the 1st Congress convened. Originally 17 amendments were proposed, which was later reduced to 12 by the Senate, and finally by December 15, 1791, three-fourths of the states had ratified 10 of these, now known as the “Bill of Rights.”

It took 12 years to create the Constitution and another 3 years the Bill of Rights.

232 years later, the U.S. Constitution is the oldest written constitution still in operation in the world. And in 3 years, our 250th July 4th!

If we could only convince others that it is all worth defending and fighting for.

ArtR, USAF 1969-1973

Well said Art!  Happy 4th everyone! 

Thank you Art! 

As we know, the Bill of Rights were amendments specifically designed to clearly define the limitations of government intrusion into the rights of individuals.

I do not believe anyone on this forum takes any of our rights for granted. There will always be a push to restrict these rights.

Thank you to all who have served and to all who treasure this magnificent gift that we try to preserve and pass on to future generations.

Happy Independence Day people. I've been to 13 different country's, none of them are as free as here. People shouldn't take that for granted.

Funny, yesterday I was thinking that there is nothing much more American than a Johnson Rifle.   I fear for the future of this nation, the lessons of the past are being ignored.  I'd add the rewriting of history is eroding the foundation, children are being taught that America is bad.  Patriotism and the social fabric of the nation is dying.  The American story is unique in the world and I'm proud to be a part of it.