Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
webmaster

Canfield article on Johnson semi-Auto carbine

7 posts in this topic

Awesome article! Not a "cut and paste" from the Book. Those who won't join the NRA for whatever reason, should just for the Canfield articles in AR. Nice one, Bruce! I don't care how rough the crowd is on the CSP forums.

My question is: Who's going to start the "Betsy" to "Daisy Mae" conversions? I'd rather convert one of my JSARs to Daisy Mae configuration, than to a semi-auto Emma. It would be phoney as a three dollar bill, but would get alot of gawking at the range. It would be alot of fun to shoot, too.

Coincidentally and very ironically, I believe the ultimate complement to the Johnson Automatics' design and engineering is the fact that the last few paragraphs of the article are bracketed by a Johnson Legacy: AR10/M-16 series rifles chambered in .30 caliber (.30'06, .300 Rem, .308 Win, and even .243 Win). Anyone know of any Garand derivatives still in production in so many chamberings?

That's my two cents worth.

Semper Fi,

Rick S.

Here is my attempt at a Daisey Mae. The LMG lower is somewhat larger than the lower on a real carbine. Note the shortened bbl. with the LMG sight and bayonet lug and the groved forearm. I thoughjt it turned our rather well. http://i14.tinypic.com/436pedf.jpg

I will NOT be making receivers for lots of reasons. If you want a look-a-like, deal with Brian, he is knowledgable and skilled. I have seen great closeup pictures of the gun in the article and believe it is the one shown on page 119 with Lt. Col. Torgerson. A historic find which will now be perserved for future Johnson fans. Perhaps we may see it at some future show somewhere.

Joseph, Just wishfull thinking on my part.

Making new receivers would be a costly project.

Thanks very much for your help on my 41 build projects..

Regards, Mitch J.