Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
M48TANKER

Ammo Question

14 posts in this topic

I want to get some more ammo for my Johnson. The only 30.06 that I have any quantity of is the PS 74 Headstamp.(Korean made for the M1 Garand, I think) I read on the CMP forum that the PS headstamp ammo is boxer primed, non-corrosive, reloadable. The only problem has been with the PS 75 headstamp ammo. Splits in the cases. OK, but my ammo is all PS 74,(not 75) so does anyone know how well this ammo is for shooting in the Johnson? I've never had a problem shooting it in my 1919A4 or my Remington 742. CMP currently has some Greek HXP ammo but I believe it's mildly corrosive. I need some advice here. Thanks, M48TANKER

I've shot some PS74 through mine, though not a lot- maybe 75-100 rds (I usually shoot handloads). I don't think there was any trouble at all.

I chronographed a little of it and it averaged 2469.2 fps, which is a bit slow (LC 72 was 2677.4) but it worked fine.

I've shot some PS74 through mine, though not a lot- maybe 75-100 rds (I usually shoot handloads). I don't think there was any trouble at all.

I chronographed a little of it and it averaged 2469.2 fps, which is a bit slow (LC 72 was 2677.4) but it worked fine.

Thanks Barry, it would be nice to shoot the PS74 since I have a bit of it. I think I'll still look for some appropriate M2 Ball. :) I've only reloaded for my 50 caliber, out of necessity due to price. :o I suppose reloading 36.06 won't be any harder. :huh: If anyone has any extra ammo loaded to M2Ball specs, let me know. Thanks, M48TANKER

I've only reloaded for my 50 caliber, out of necessity due to price. :o I suppose reloading 36.06 won't be any harder. :huh:

When I go from loading a lot of .30-06 and .308 to something like .223, it always feels a bit awkward at first having to handle those teeny tiny bullets. I bet you would have the same feeling handling those (relatively) tiny .30 caliber bullets after .50s. Perhaps some big tweezers would help.

Hey Tanker I've been shooting that Korean stuff through mine for a couple of years( I bought 2000 rnds several years ago) I have also fired the Greek HXP many times. I like the Greek better it works well through both the JSAR and the Garand. You should know with some of the oddball toys you got that corrosive is not a bad thing just clean well soon after. Both types of the ammo work well in my experience. A couple of years back i got ahold of some 43 dated 8mm. I was shooting it through a MG-34, and it worked fine. Some one asked me why an hour later i had the barrel out and was soaking it with solvent. I then got to explain about the corrosive ammo. Funny thing was i immediately got help soaking down all the parts of the 34.This was unusual, as most people run away if they might get dirty. :blink: Ryche

That's good news from all of you that have used the ammo. :) I clean ALL of my weapons immediately after firing, so using corrosive ammo has never presented a problem. If I shoot a couple of hundred rounds through my UZI or M16, I'll clean the weapon within the hour. Even if I only shoot ONE round through it...it gets cleaned. :rolleyes: Most of my buddies think I'm overly cautious. :wacko: They may clean their guns once a year or so. But then, they are not shooting corrosive ammo, so maybe they can get away with it. With a lot of the military surplus there is actually no way to positively know for sure. If you got it at a good price then it's safe to assume that it's corrosive, berdan primed, and steel cased! I was mainly concerned about the bullet weight and powder charge. The chrono details helped me a lot. I love this board for it's friendly people and wealth of knowledge. :D Thanks, M48Tanker

I agree, even if think the ammo is mildly corrosive, clean the heck out of it.

I use a lot of commie block 7.62x25 ammo that is corrosive, but proper cleaning does not have a nick on the barrel or receiver.

Shoot away, and clean accordingly

I use a lot of commie block 7.62x25 ammo that is corrosive, but proper cleaning does not have a nick on the barrel or receiver.

Mitch J...you can say that again! :lol:

Over the years I've shot PS, LC, WCC, FN, the last stuff I shot was SL-57,and it all shot well without a hitch.

The only time I had a problem was with some, I believe Austrian, head stamped OJP IV 61, the recoil impulse was quite severe and the extractor ripped the back of the case off leaving the case in the chamber. I thought that maybe the extractor might be at fault,so I changed it, cleared the chamber and fired one more round, same result. This ammo was HOT, bolt gun ammo only. I've never had a problem with the gun since and it didn't appear to harm the gun at all.

Scattershot

M-48, I think you will find that after the mid 1950's most of the U.S. made ammo. had non corossive primers. The Greek and Korean stuff is non corossive and the cases can be reloaded. The WW2 and early Korean War ammo. is corossive but since the JSAR does not have a gas system, cleaning is not the problem that a person would face when using a rifle such as a Garand.

However the cleaning products that are sold today are not that good for cleaning after using corossive primer ammo.

Get some WW2 bore cleaner or something that the black powder shooters use. There is something called "Moose Milk" which will work or you can use Windex, it will do the same thing. Just remember to dry the bore and oil it after using any water based cleaner.

I'd like to bring this post back up.

Aside from my Johnson, I also own a Garand rifle. And for those that don't own a Garand, it is a huge no-no to shoot commercial or slow burning powder ammo out of a Garand. Owners with experience shooting commercial ammo have found their op rods getting bent. And not all surplus ammo is safe. There are two types of Greek surplus, HXP and Olympic. Greek Olympic ammo is slow burning and hot as well. Is the Johnson also sensitive to the type of ammo shot? Is it ok to shoot slow burning ammo?...cause I have a few hundred rounds of this stuff. I'd rather waste this stuff in a rifle then in the trash.

I'd like to bring this post back up.

Aside from my Johnson, I also own a Garand rifle. And for those that don't own a Garand, it is a huge no-no to shoot commercial or slow burning powder ammo out of a Garand. Owners with experience shooting commercial ammo have found their op rods getting bent. And not all surplus ammo is safe. There are two types of Greek surplus, HXP and Olympic. Greek Olympic ammo is slow burning and hot as well. Is the Johnson also sensitive to the type of ammo shot? Is it ok to shoot slow burning ammo?...cause I have a few hundred rounds of this stuff. I'd rather waste this stuff in a rifle then in the trash.

Gonzo, The Johnson being recoil operated semi-automatic rifle unlike the gas operated M1, should allow any 30/06 loaded with a 150 grain bullet to shoot OK out of it. I suppose a really hot load would cause more wear on the action but should not hurt it if you only fire a few rounds. I have fired all kinds of 30/06 out of my Johnson, commercial and surplus, without a problem. Years ago I owned several M1 Garand’s and had a custom gas plug that allowed me to shoot rounds loaded with 4831 under a 150 grain bullet. Now there is an adjustable plug available for the M1 Garand that you may want to investigate.