Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Brian Alpert

"investment grade" JSARs

8 posts in this topic

Whoowee look at all them good spensive guns comin out o the woodwork.

The only problem i can see as investment grade guns, is that the price is already to high for a good investment.

Then again the only thing i really know is i like my beat up shooter because i can take it out and play with it. :P :P :P

Whoowee look at all them good spensive guns comin out o the woodwork.

The only problem i can see as investment grade guns, is that the price is already to high for a good investment.

Then again the only thing i really know is i like my beat up shooter because i can take it out and play with it. :P :P :P

Ryche_me, you're right about that! To me, investing is: Buying below market value and fully expecting to easily be able to sell at a very nice profit any time. If you are "investing" with the hope of the values going up a lot more in the near future...do it while you're young. ;) If you just want a nice 1941 Johnson, there are some very nice rifles emerging right now, but I wouldn't want to pay top dollar ($8,000.00 up to $13,000.00) expecting a high return on my investment. I think you should be able to buy a decent rifle for $4000.00 :unsure: I'll sell any of my collection for $10,001.00 :D and not a dollar less. ( Go ahead, try me!) :D Ryche, having a "shooter" is important to me also. But then I'll shoot ANY of mine. If however I'm going out in a boat, I won't be taking my "investment grade" rifles

Hey Tanker How are you? I have a couple of pieces in my collection that are non shooters, like my engraved luger, or the unissued p-17 Enfield.

If i had a JSAR that was as nice as some we have seen recently then i would waffle alot trying to decide to take it out. Most all of my collection goes out at some point, if for nothing else just to give me a good excuse to clean them :blink: I like having a collection i can play with,such is with all the Johnson projects none will be in perfect condition but all will be functional and any will be worth at least $3000 to $4000 should the need arise to have to sell them. (Only if the family is starving) :o Any way i hope the guys selling these do as well as they hope and that the buyers enjoy what they have gotten.

Ryche

It has been my experience.....based of 50+ years of gun collecting....that "blue chip" specimens, ie. investment grade, appreciate much, much more than others....although they all appreciate. I remember when my Dad and I were dealing in English double rifles in the $500-600 range. Today the same go for $30-40 thousand. The same for Henry rifles, the "investment grade" going for $500 while the "run of the mill" were in the $400 range. What are they now? High quality appreciates more predictably than lesser. As such, if one buys a quality item, even at a ridiculous price, ultimately it will catch up and surpass.. Lesser stuff takes much longer or may never.

With that said, one could well consider all JSARs....like BP Colts and Henry rifles...investment grade. Yet the high end specimens will always climb faster and bring significantly more. Specimens in poor condition and those in mint condition are easy to value. It is those in between which are more difficult.

In my opinion, the $11,000 gun on GB has a replacement stock. It is too light and shows light wood on ends next to magazine and the butt plate fit is very poor. To the best of my knowledge, the originals were dipped in a dark oil and are the same color everywhere. A stock which has been stripped shows dark on ends and in holes. I don't remember if he called it all original. The second gun looks original to me.

I agree Joe, I noticed that bare wood on either end of the magazine and even on a couple of the "cross bar" screws. A sure tip-off of replaced wood to me. It also just looks too good if you know what I mean. I would think that ANY rifle produced by the Johnson factory would have the dipped stock...even one that was going to an executive of the company or sold on the open market. Lot's of good accessories though.

I understand all the above as i have several investment grade guns as i have mentioned.

My JSAR is worth a million dollars to me just because what it cost me ($100) and how much i enjoy playing with it.

It sat in my collection for almost 4 years without being touched until a friend asked about it one day and i couldn't tell him anything about it.

I knew they were rare, but i didn't know any real history on the rifles. I started doing research and that is how i happened onto this board.

This was the first "board" i had ever been on. I really liked what was going on here and the info seemed alot better than the slim info i was finding elsewhere. Anyway i ramble, i would never sell my JSAR unless forced to. I would invest in a non shooter, if it came at the right price,

but i still would have to disassemble it just to look. :blush:

Since i've gotten hooked up with you guys, i have felt better about my $100 investment,and enjoyed my rifle more than i ever figured i would.

My primary interests are with WWII German stuff, Lugers, Mausers, Etc. But my historical knowledge has advanced in many new directions just due to conversations with several people on this board.

OK i'm gonna sign off before we all get teary eyed :)

Thanks one and all, and lets keep watching to see what comes out next!

Ryche