M48TANKER

Johnson Rifle on Gunbroker

7 posts in this topic

Hello. I'd first like to wish you all a very Merry CHRISTmas and Happy New Year!

I try to log in and check the forum at least once a week to keep track of you all. I watch most of the auctions of 1941 Johnsons and have seen several very nice rifles sell. I believe the downturn in the economy has definitely affected the small collectors like me. I'm very proud of the 1941 Johnsons that I have, and have limited myself to picking up Johnson bayonets, including reproductions if they are cheap enough. The "real" bayonets seem to be increasing in price faster than the rifles themselves! If anyone else is willing to pay over $500.00 for a very nice original....please contact me first.

I found the listing below this morning. I'd like your honest opinions on the validity of the information contained in the description. I'd also like your take on the rifle itself. The seller has glowing feedback on Gunbroker's Auction site.

By the way...I'm not bidding.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=319078148

As the old saw goes, buy the gun, not the story. I have never heard of the Texas Ranger connection before nor have I heard of a Texas dealer receiving large quantities. Most of the Dutch guns were purchased by Cecil Jackson out of storage at the Hague. He later set up Winfield Arms. The Chilean JSARs went to Navy Arms and InterAmerican (dba Armex Intl, PIMCO and Old Sacramento Armory) imported many (I do not know from where) in the 70s or 80s. Their import mark is "IA CO SAC CA"

It would be interesting to "check" the claim of no mixed parts....clearly the SN is 4418....as the seller seems to be open to questions, ask seller the question of a parts sn list and compare...also interesing is statement about the low SN meaning it was part of the 1st 10,000 produced...clearly the "lister" has not read "the Book". As Brian, and most of the pro's on this site state, buy the gun, not "the story". I got a little bored with the extremely long disertation.

HEY Tanker: How are you doing buddy?? Long time no post.

Took a look at the GB item, Man that guy is long winded for what looks to be a fairly nice JSAR.

Never heard of the Texas Rangers using them though. Interesting

Ryche

I agree with Art on this one. Suspicious. Proceed with caution.

I'm a little behind the power curve here but since this is still for sale...

It really is a small world. I've dealt with this seller - I'm the most recent glowing feedback. I purchased a Colt 1903 Pocket Hammer from them this summer that was donated by a 1st Division Marine officer. The story in the listing stated it was captured from a North Korean officer during the first offensive and carried by the Marine (Able Company C.O.) at Inchon, Pusan, Chosin Reservoir, etc. So there was a whole back-story to go with the gun, but I paid what a 1903 in that condition would be worth (taking the sage advice to heart) and the story was just a benny. It did come with a letter from the Marine officer, who is still alive, describing the circumstances and verifying the story. I was also able to find this officer's story in several books and oral histories online and it meshed with the claims. So at least in this instance the seller was for real. Seems like a nice guy too and was pleasant to deal with.

If you actually manage to wade through all the verbiage of the most recent listing (04 Dec), he never actually comes out and claims this specific rifle was used by the USMC or Rangers, just "seems to indicate" with a disclaimer. It's a shame there's so much yimmer-yammer in there that has nothing to do with the actual rifle at auction. It just muddies the waters. If somebody's going to spend that much dough, they should do independent research - like come to this site. The tough part is figuring out what it's actually worth in today's marketplace.

Pretty much a classic example of how not to list an auction.

Jay