Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lemmy

Grease for storage - Opinions

15 posts in this topic

Hi,

I would like to know if anyone has any experience or opinions on what grease to use for long term storage (1-2 years) that won't change the current color of parkerized components. I know some of the newer, high tech greases, have pretty strong dyes, red, blue, green and such. I would stick with a basic lithium grease, but I noticed when the oils seperate out of those, they are usually pretty dark.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

I've used plain white lithium grease for years with no problems. While it will dry out over time (and why I store 99% of my firearms free of any lube) it can be softened up or cleaned off with a spritz of rem oil.

Thanks

I was planning on using just some light oil, but was concerned about humidity levels. The humidity is normally ok, but I can't gaurantee it won't spike from time to time. That's why I thought grease might be better over time. I realize there will be some cleaning involved when the time comes to use them.

Hey We used vasaline don't know about the oiutside on parking but on the inside it works well.

We had 50 luger pistols completely coated inside and out and stored in an attic in humid Kentucky for almost 10 years. no problem

Also use a desicant like silica gel you know those little white packets that say do not eat when you buy new electronics.

You can get it at most hardware stores put it in what ever box or case you have them stored in.

I keep one in all my ammo cans and pistol cases even when a pistol isn't in one.

Make sure to get a vasaline soaked patch down the barrel also and clean out the barrel before shooting.

Unlike oil if the vasaline dries out it won't attract water. when oil dries it will suck humidity underneath it for a nice rust bed.

Also the vasaline never affected the blueing during their long rest.

Good luck

Ryche

I thought the cosmoline should work, I was just concerned about altering the color of the parkerizing.

50 items for ten years sounds like a pretty good track record for vaseline to me.

Thanks

My father started collecting when he was 16. Lugers were his primary interest at the time.

There were also several long guns in the pile.

However most of the lugers were sold to pay for the divorce.

BUT i started collecting also at age 16, that was some time ago as i'm now 47. So we are back up to about 37 or 40 haven't counted recently. And the long guns, alot of Mausers and others such as Johnsons, have increased the collection alot. There is a whole lot more to the story Like when he came home with a box of 8 or 10 lugers covered in cosmoline, at age 10 i learned how to strip and clean a luger pistol with gasoline to get the cosmoline off and then reclean and lube it correctly for resale. We lived in Germany at the time, about 1975, you could still find things like that back then and German gun laws were not what they are today.

Lemmy: Make sure to check if it affects parking i dont know, as all ours were old blueing. Also get the silaca gel to help stave off humidity its great stuff.

Good luck

Ryche

And not meaning any disloyalty to my father.....I might be in the market for a "junk" Luger pistol that actually works (fires) but doesn't necessarily have matching serial number parts. Contact me at erjrice@aol.com if interested in selling any....

Hey Ed: We call them"shooters" junkers are good for spare parts and there isnt many of those left SIGH oh well

As soon as we have a good shooter i will let you know

Any idea what price range you want to be in? and also are you looking for 9mm or .30 luger as caliber?

I mean no disloyalty to your father either but i have more Mausers than i do Johnsons However i have more Johnsons than i do Garands.

I have always considered the JSAR better than the Garand. But you know everybodys got to have at least one Right? LOL LOL

Let me know what you are looking for and i will start trying to find something before all the laws get stupid.

Ryche

Probably 9mm because ammo is easier to find plus I have access to gunsmiths. Nothing over $400. Just a basic shooter that functions. Many of us always felt the Luger grip was the most comfortable to hold in the hand.

Hey Ed: I will see what i can do $400 gonna be tough, most beat up shooters are in the $600-$700 when you can find them.

All of these grand kids are finding Pappy's old war trophy and because its an old luger they think its worth a fortune.

I am in full agreement with you on the grip, it is the most ergonomic grip on a pistol i've ever felt.

I love shooting them just for that reason, Well also because they are "cool".

Anyway let me start looking around.

Ryche

Hey Lemmy: I hope it works as well for you as it did for us.

Also good luck wherever you end up for those couple of years.

Ryche