Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MagumMan

Ejector Pin

20 posts in this topic

Try Numerich also known as gunparts corp. They had them but it was several years ago.

If not let me know that ones a real big MAYBE

Ryche

The little spring has been unavailable for several years. I did make some but no longer do. You will have to find a coil spring whose wire fits in the slot of ejector, torch anneal spring and straighten wire for material. The original is sort of "W" shaped with short tail. One lower end of the "W" is what crosses the hole and fits the slot on pivot pin. It is best if you have one to copy.

Use jewelers pliers with round ends and shape softened wire. Leave one end long to hold it by. There is a 1/16" cross pin through ejector which holds spring in place. When you have it shaped, heat bright red with propane torch and quench in used oil to harden. Then ignite oil on piece and let it burn off slowly. Dip in oil again and burn off again, this tempers the spring wire. Trim off tail and install, press small pin in place to retain. Test the pivot pin through ejector before installing in gun. Good luck.

Hey sorry I checked my parts and i have the small pin but not the spring.

I think you could also use a leftover AK pin retaining spring they will bend fairly easy without work hardening the spring.

I checked and the spring wire will fit into the slot. i will try to bend one around and see what i can come up with.

Witha little luck it will work i will let you know.

Ryche

Hey Ryche_me,

Could you post pictures? :) I'm woefully ignorant when it comes to making springs. :unsure: I can cut off pieces of other springs :blink: but have no experience in what Joe was saying about the annealing and quenching, etc.

Thanks for that information Joe.....now I can try out another lost art.

By the way....I've probably got some extra AK parts if needed. M48TANKER

Hey Tanker: How are you doing buddy?? Hope all is well with you and yours.

P.M. me on the AK parts i have a friend always in the market if i don't need them.

I'm going to noodle around with the AK sear spring not used in a semi build to see if i can get it to bend in the right directions.

I used one several years ago to fix a cylender lock spring in my sons revolver and it worked beautifully.

I will let every one know how it goes. Maybe pics if the Beautiful Mrs. Ryche has the time to up load them.

Ryche

Heating an existing steel spring up to red heat and slowly backing off the torch will soften (anneal) the wire so it can be bent w/o breaking. After it is shaped, you return the tension by heating it up to a bright red and quenching by plunging in oil. This makes it very hard and brittle, so you must take out some of the hardness by heating it to aproximately 5-700 deg F. The easiest way is to let some of the oil burn off the hardened wire. By doing this twice, you usually get a good tempered spring which will not snap off, nor be too soft. Try it some time with a scrap piece. Using a propane torch flame keeps O2 away from the hot wire and prevents scaling. Not for SS springs, only regular steel springs.

Hi

I believe this to be everything in question and in the correct orientation.

I'll speak just for the items I have, others may be different. I'm assuming these are the originals.

The ejector has a chamfered recess on the top side for the head of the pin that holds the spring. This pin definitely has a head on it (or pin was pounded into the recess when installed) and should be driven out from the bottom with a punch so that the pin exits the top of the ejector. The spring pin diameter measures .065". The spring wire diameter measures .050".

post-3124-0-04841100-1362758838_thumb.jp

Hope this helps.

Still planning on trying to bend a left over AK spring this week end. Let us know how your experiment goes.

Ryche

OK with some judicious bending using a small set of flat pliers and a set of round end ( mandrel end???) jewlers pliers i bent the AK spring to a close resembalance of the orig. JSAR spring.

It works as of now but could use a little tension adjustment to be slightly tighter.

So it is possible to make a good useable part, not as pretty as the orig. but will get you back in the game.

Ryche

Very cool It wouldn't be the 1st time i've used car parts to make gun parts.

Ryche

I'll bet that the new wire will take cold blue just fine.