Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jim Peden

Johnson Bayo Available

24 posts in this topic

I have a 41 Johnson Bayonet and Sheath which I'm thinking of putting up on Ebay but my neighbor said I should let you guys know first. I'd like to get $400 for the set. Email me at peden@middlebury.net if you're interested. Thanks.

I will take it. Email sent

Wow, that was fast. I've sent you my phone number via email.

Thanks to the Johnson Board for this service.

Jim

10 minutes. Wow!

Nice price, if it's in good shape.

Lucky I could check the site at work. I have learned lots since joining. I love my new Johnson, just need the wood set now (wife thinks I am weird[er]). Original bayo will be great. I have a repro coming from a very kind member here. Will display them both.

Lucky I could check the site at work. I have learned lots since joining. I love my new Johnson, just need the wood set now (wife thinks I am weird[er]). Original bayo will be great. I have a repro coming from a very kind member here. Will display them both.

Ha Ha... sorry Mitch. I rarely get to the right place at the right time. I appreciate Jim listing it here.

Hey Jim.....should we start charging commissions on this stuff? :lol: Ed J

Maybe just need a WTS/WTB section?

Hey Jim.....should we start charging commissions on this stuff? :lol: Ed J

Now, that's an excellent idea: "The Want to Sell/Want to buy" section. It would serve as a repository of information on what parts we each have that we will sell or trade. I'm for that.

And spoil all the enjoyment for the rest of us as we watch you guys dicker away? Where's the fun in that? :lol:

I am with Ed, it was fun to watch how fast that one went. I have seen many pieces come and go over the years and feel the board is working fine as is.

I am luckier than some though, as I have seen and held that bayo and sheath....I do not think Steve(WA) will be disappointed. Jim told me that he was going to list it on eBay, and I suggested that he list it here as well.

And spoil all the enjoyment for the rest of us as we watch you guys dicker away? Where's the fun in that? :lol:

Sounds like a "no".

A central WTS/WTB location would serve several functions, all of which are now lacking:

It would let members know that offering or seeking specific items is allowed, and it would keep such entries from cluttering dedicated boards. It would also make offers and wants easier to find, being all in one place. Rules for conduct could easily be established, say, excluding large outside dealers trolling for business and allowing only hobbists or small scale dedicated manufacturers such as Joe Scott. Included could be a section for feedback so that the occasional bad egg can be quickly identifed.

The "fun" is still there; it's just centralized, sanctioned, and better organized.

Sorry if my kidding around offended anyone.....I meant no harm.....

However....I interpret the above remark as an actual criticism of the site, which is operated and supported by unpaid volunteers who have other jobs and responsibilities. At this stage of the game, I'm not sure if I see enough volume to justify adding additional services that might also require monitoring and supervision....which can be time consuming.

In addition, I note that exchanges have been handled by E-mail between enthusiasts in the past.

However, perhaps if there are a large number of people that feel WTS/WTB is something that should be considered, then those feelings can be expressed and the situation reviewed by the entire Johnson Website Team.....assuming that this would be something we would decide we want to offer on this site.

So far, as indicated above, at least 2 of you are interested in seeing this. If there are others, feel free to E-mail me at:

ed_johnson@tvcconnect.net

I will pass your thoughts along to other Team members. Thank you for your time.

Hey Ed: I'm sure you didn't offend anybody and if you did they need thicker skin!!!

You guys are the Mainstay of this site and it wouldn't be what it is without you.

I have done several deals both buying and selling through e-mail contact gained on this site, or through P.M. on this site if i don't want it public, and if i don't mind then everybody see's it and can enjoy the back and forth of dickering and dealing. Hell i grew up doing just that at swapmeets and gunshows.

A WTS/WTB i think would be unnecessary here... If some one wants to take the time to manage it fine, but all my deals have been just fine on the other ways.

AAANNND thats my 2 cent worth.

Ryche

Not criticism, just a suggestion.

Just got the bayo from Jim. Very nice matching set. The scabbard has "9433" stamped on it, and the bayo (on the rivet) has "33" on it. Very cool. Like Jim said, it has been together since new. The Johnson site says no one really knows the source of the numbers? The bayo also has "2569" on it. Seems like I read somewhere that was a Dutch number?

Steve,

Numbers on a bayo and scabbord. If you look at the bayo section on the main site I think you will find the information you seek and can make up your own mind. As I have stated in the past Bayonets and scabbords were never marked by the US military period. Any markings one might find on either the bayonet or scabbard would have come from either the Dutch or Chilean military. Some of these numbers I have seen look like they were pounded in with a heavy hammer as well as well worn dies these digits had raised edges and indents were very deep. Others were what one would think would have been done by a military type person (or maybe an armourer). The strikings were very clean and the numbers evenly spaced. Whether or not any of these scabbords or bayonets are marked at this point and time really makes no difference. These items along with the rifles and machine guns are quite unique. Whatever you paid for these is your business and if you are happy with it I'd consider it a great day!

On another subject I have some collector information I did awhile ago and as soon as I update this file and figure out how to load it to the site this information could be quite usefull to new members. It's a rather large file

walt :-)

Thanks Walt. It is fun learning about my new favorite WW2 firearm! This bayo has pretty professional looking stampings on the scabbard and the rivet head, then, like you say, the numbers on the top ring are crudely stamped. It seems like no one really knows, but why would "they" stamp a four digit number into the scabbard, and then the last two numbers into the rivet head? Interesting to speculate about anyway.

Pics! We want pics, Steve! BTW, here's my own WWII Jeep, a 1943 MB:

post-143-0-18770600-1369245114_thumb.jpg

post-143-0-67018700-1369245138_thumb.jpg

post-143-0-58956700-1369245168_thumb.jpg

post-143-0-34465100-1369245192_thumb.jpg

post-143-0-24993300-1369245236_thumb.jpg

post-143-0-20463700-1369245283_thumb.jpg

That is an outstanding MB! Mine is also a 1943, it is a GPW, Ford made jeep. Bought it from a gentleman who originally purchased it in 1961 to swap in a new V8 motor. He never got it done, and was tired of it in the barn! It was restored by my father in law, who works on military vehicles as a hobby. Here are a few pictures:

SDC10659_zps9f1979f1.jpg

SDC10952_zps7402aee5.jpg

Bayo:

SDC11552_zps27b83a0f.jpg

SDC11550_zps8c183a15.jpg

OUTSTANDING G503, Steve! Looks very complete.

Gee, I wonder if a M1941 rifle will fit the universal rifle rack? I have not yet tried it.

I have heard that the numbering was done in South America because they were absolutely paranoid about stolen weapons getting to the public. No factual data to back this up.