Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
spankybear

M1941 and the M1 Garand Together...

6 posts in this topic

this was a very cool idea and a good blending of both weapons. To bad they never went forward with it, MJ should have been brought back in to help with the process. Anyway thanks for the post it looks like somebody was thinking way back when. Ryche

Regarding the Garand rifle modification using the Johnson Rotary magazine design, refer to the book "Johnson Rifles and machine Guns" by Bruce Canfield, available from the author or from Mowbray Publishing (1 800 999 4697). There are photos and a brief description on pages 93 - 95. When Dad worked at Winchester/Olin in New Haven, CT in the early '50's, his ideas went with him.

A few years ago the Springfield Armory Museum had a tour that had to be booked in advance and had a nominal cost . It was given by a museum curator and a park ranger ( museum run by the park service). We started at the oldest firearms from the colonial period. Unfortunately time ran short as we got to WWII. There was at least 1 garand on display with a rotary magazine . There was also a std Johnson 1941 ( no " prototypes etc").I am told they no longer offer that tour. Too bad it was the best 10 $ ever spent. Will hunt for the memory stick and see if I can post some of the photos. A few cameras and computers ago. RIGUNNER

Thanks Ed I knew i'd seen that pic before. I guess its time to get my copy out and reread it again. :) Ryche