Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tsmgguy

Murray's Gunstocks

12 posts in this topic

About three months ago now, I tried to have a replacement butt stock made for my M1941 and chanced upon the web site below. The owner, Randall ("Randy") Murray, said that he could certainly handle the job. The stock was made and sent, but there were problems which made the stock unusable. The spring tube inletting was nowhere near right. It turns out that Murray's has never actually made a M1941 butt stock that was not returned. I sent mine back as well. I requested a refund, but this has not been forthcoming as Randy says "he's a little short" right now. You might want to steer clear of this business. The good news is that Joe Scott produces a very nice repro butt stock, so I need not have bothered with looking elsewhere in the first place! http://murraysgunstocks.com/

Thanks for comments. When I say prefitted/presanded, mine really are. Lots of people have carved the outsides, but extremely few, have gotten the recoil tube setup correct.

Yes, and since the recoil tube inletting is integral to the design and proper functioning of the gun, "close" just won't cut it!

newbie here: I just got a Joseph Scott stock last week and im very happy w/ it. & for less than 2/3 the price of this murray's stock which has issues. fit and finish was perfect. the recoil tube slid right in just right. (ive bought a k43 stock from eastern europe in the past, and it took hours of dremel work to make it fit) heck, even the boyds stocks need a little bit of fitting.

Stock know-how. I have just about finished videoing how I fit my stocks. This effort is to preserve my know-how whenever I have to sell my business and fixtures. Now, if I can learn how to edit on a Mac computer?? Video will not be for sale separately, only as part of a package deal. I do have several stocks ready to sell. I want to give credit to John Darling who designed, built and sold me his stock fixture when he gave up the business. Thanks for all the comments.

Joe; as you know you can have all the fancy machinery in the world ans still produce a nasty unusable product!! Skill, knowledge and understanding with a bunch of patience will help you make an A-1 product! You evidently have what it takes to make a first rate product no matter what it is! Keep on with the great work!!

heres some pics of the "JS" stock i just stained and installed the mainspring tube/buttplate. it could still use a coat of minwax

pics in my other post:

http://johnsonautomatics.com/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=1932

PS: Mr Joseph Scott: what kind of wood are these stocks made of?

If anyone has any old dead stocks to get rid of....just send them to me. I want to see what can be done with junk wood stocks. I love a challenge.

Hey Tanker: I have an old dead way over sanded military that came off a sporter. It is also cracked on the right side. Interested? Ryche

OK Ryche..... We've gone private to hash out the gory details of the exchange. We hate to leave you guessing...............

This is one of the main reasons why I went with a JS stock set, cause I knew it would work right out the box. Anyone can make you a wood stock set, but getting it to 'fit and function' is another issue and getting that recoil tube right is critical. I can't see anyone else properly doing it correctly unless they specialize in Johnson rifles. Sure I would of liked to just go out and buy an original stock set...but they are extremely rare and near non-existent on the market, and the JS stock set is the next best thing.

I originally started out with a Winfield Johnson, and I sent my rifle to Joseph Scott to have him redo the barrel and install his woodstock. It is just perfect! Couldn't be anymore happier. That was near 5 years ago, and when I pull my rifle out the safe it puts a huge smile on my face each and every time. Thanks again Mr Scott!

standard.jpg