Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Alasdair MacDonald

JSAR serial numbers

17 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I am trying to get data for #7698 but not sure if it is going in, the system is down, or the guys with the information are too busy. Any ideas? Cordially, Alasdair

Alasdair, here's what I show for Receiver #7698 to JA on 3-11-42 #2 stock Barrel 2576E Hammer Block 9487 Hammer 0060A Bolt 031 Locking cam 9625 Firing pin A7311 Extractor 7987 Magazine shell A989 Completed on 3-13-42 and went to NPC. walt

...And Serial Number 0244 :)

Thanks!

Just as a point of reference.....this isn't information that is sitting and easily available. It is something that has to be pulled from a file and then written down and then transposed onto the site. It probably takes one of our members perhaps 15 minutes to pull the answer. Bear in mind that this serial number history is probably very beneficial in terms of the monetary value of your rifle.....especially if most of the numbers match. The operating team, led by Jim Pullen, are all volunteers. We also pay for the upkeep of the site. Perhaps we should consider charging for providing this serial number information as a means of keeping the site up. Perhaps a commission on the sale? Some folks might be offended by such a suggestion......right? So for now.....let's take it nice and easy.....OK?

No offense intended Ed. I just threw my number on here after seeing the very quick reply that Alasdair received and was hopeful that Walt would happen to have my information as well. I am well aware of how this site operates. This is why I did not start my own thread solely asking for my serial number information.

As for resale value, this has absolutely no bearing on my interest in M1941s or desire to know the serial number information. I bought mine as a collector's piece, not as an investment (in fact, I've never sold a single firearm I've owned). If I wanted the latter, I would have started hoarding batches of M1s and Lee Enfield No4 Mark1s back in the 1990s when they were selling for a hundred bucks up here and then sell them now for five to ten times the value!

OK guys this is what I have for your rifle receivers 0244 1533 stock not listed Not listed Barrel 1029E 1539A Hammer Block 0436 1384 Hammer 0660 1842 Bolt 502 1255 Locking cam 375 1211 Firing Pin 955 2073 Extractor 749 2525 Mag shell 0641 9669 completed 9/29/41 11/8/41 NPC NPC walt

guys the first receiver number is for 0244 and the corresponding first numbers are for 244. Second set of numbers are for 1533. walt

Thanks Walt. Its much appreciated. I'll strip it down tonight and see it matches up. Alan

Hey Walt: Thanks for taking your time to get the info for these guys. I remember when i 1st got my info back and i was really excited to strip her down that night to see what still matched. Even now when i read about it, this many years later, i still find myself excited to see how close their rifles will be... Anyway its all the people here that make this a premier site. SO thanks to you all Ryche

Here's the rundown on mine:

Matching magazine shell, hammer block and hammer. Not as much as I hoped for, but not bad! The hammer block is the part of the rifle in the best shape (looks 'good as new'), so I'm really surprised that that matches. The barrel doesn't match but it also has the 'E' suffix -- does this E indicate the production block (ie: manufactured around the same time)?

Also, the buttplate on my stock is stamped 1514 -- would this be considered the stock serial number?

Thanks again Walt.

To the best of my knowledge, butt plates/stocks were not numbered at the factory, that is considered a user added number, probably for storage control. I have or have handled dozens of original unnumbered butt plates. The plates that do have numbers do not have the same size or font used by JA on other parts. The stocks sometimes had one or two letters/numbers on the end facing mag. Mostly likely an inspectors stamp or shift or operator number. The one log book does list stocks by type such as 1 or 2, but I don't know difference in types.

Hey Alan: You don't often get more than 3 or 4 parts that match any more. They have been around so long, and through god only knows how many hands. And forbid BUBBA got a hold of them, after that who knows. Glad to hear you still have some matching parts though. :) Ryche

That is amazing that these files still exist. I can't wait to strip this thing tonight and see what matches from when it came off the assembly line on November 8th, 1941. 

Thank you very much uncle Walt. I know it is a pain but I thought I was doing something wrong. This is for a newby that has the rifle and bayonette and scabard. He is delighted to have any and all information. Hope I can recp-rocate, cordially, Alasdair

Al, you are very welome