Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joseph Scott

Improving accuracy

6 posts in this topic

i have been corresponding with owner wanting to shoot his 41 in National match but had poor accuracy. He had sleeve wear and ended up having the guide collar built-up with SS heliarc weld and machining for minimum clearance, Now holds tight group in black at 200 yards. I asked for the clearance he used and will post when available. I have seen one collar built up with braze material that worked out well. Winfield Arms built up their collar diameter with hard chrome which is why some are chromed. This owner could not find a chrome plater so he used welding and got excellent results. Be sure to lube the collar in sleeve by depressing barrel and oiling exposed wear area.

Thanks Joe, It's good to have that type of information available. I'm not sure if some folks would have thought of that. I acquired a gun in trade because the owner "couldn't hit the side of a barn with it." I started looking at it after he left and discovered that the scope rings were sloppy loose. It's no wonder the barn was safe. And most have heard the story about my buddy who tacked a target up on the side of the barn and shot at it all day long......? Yep, his dad's new truck was inside the barn. True.

That's as funny as my dad and his buddy up deer hunting. The snow was deep at the cottage and they decided to put the target up against a mound of snow to sight their rifles in. In the spring, they found out that mound of snow had the canoe underneath it!

Owner said they made a Delrin test plug that just would go in sleeve. Turned built up collar to that dimension but had to polish off about 1/2 thou. Clearance is less than .001" but has good motion when fired. Gets 3" groups at 200yds.

Heard of a couple of fool's shooting a 22 pistol inside a factory-- They though the wall was drywall over brick-- So away they shot their 22 LR pistols for a couple of hours and over more than a couple of beers!! When they went to go home they realized they had shot both of their new Harley's up!! Both were pretty new and mint but when they were done both were pretty wrecked and full of holes in the gas tanks, oil tanks carburator's and saddle bags and I can't remember what else except one of the shooters had just installed a nice custom seat on his bike!! How they did that I don't know but both of them will probably a little more careful next time!