Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
robster

My mutilated Johnson

13 posts in this topic

Hi, all! I'm happy to be a new member and I am hoping that someone here can tell me if they have ever seen a Johnson like mine. Yes, the radiator was cut...

post-8358-120088_thumb.jpg

I have never seen a shroud cut like that before, Has the Barrel been replaced? or does it have the original markings? Welcome by the way..

Welcome to the Johnson Forum. You'll find the best information available here. We have several experts on board.

Would you mind posting some more pictures please. I have seen a partial upper with a decent radiator for sale in the past.

It might have belonged to one of the board members here?

Wow, never seen that done to one. Probably best to just shoot it or trade it. The radiators were welded on in a special machine which held them in alignment while pressure welded on. I would not try to replace one myself. Also the sight top dovetail looks to be changed. By the way, barrels get HOT, wonder if he ever burned himself?

Too expensive to restore. The receiver could be used with a Dror parts set by grafting a Dror front end on to it and covering the screw holes on the top of the receiver with a new Dror type sight base and sight.....see one of my previous posts showing my 8mm Dror. Otherwise sell it as a parts set and get something else. Contact me for further ideas.

Yes i've seen one like that... I own it. Some Bubba cut off the jacket all the way down to the rib on the bottom. I bought it purposely to build a DROR as Brian spoke about above. We think that's about all they would be good for any longer. Yours appears to have a section at the front still in place? Is there a section larger than the rec. added to the rear to retain the barrel? It really makes you wonder what they were thinking when doing mods like this.. Anyway welcome to the site there is alot of good info to be learned here... Ryche

Thanks, guys, you are all confirming what I was already thinking. I was considering adding an aftermarket heat shield, having a rail made that would use the existing holes, a red dot, maybe a muzzle break that would cover the messed up barrel end, etc, and using it as a pleasure shooter. I didn't pay anything for this rifle, I bought a guys collection complete and put this one at $0 because of the mods. Got lots of ammo with it, also at $0, probably worth more than the rifle, lol. I just looked at the dror; I wasn't acquainted with them. Very cool and might be even a better idea. Has anyone out there already collected the parts to do it and decided to abandon their project? And I'll search through your posts, Brian, to learn more.

If you are interested in doing the Dror thing contact me. I think I know who may have the parts set and I have the gunsmith who will build it.

post-12-544797_thumb.jpg

I know someone who still has some parts, so between brian and i we should be able to get you a complete set for a DROR mod. I guarantee you wont see one at the local range unless you are at his or mine... And you will generate alot of attention with it :).... Ryche

I am very interested and I tried to message you, Brian, but got this, "The member Brian Alpert cannot receive any new messages". Maybe a full mailbox? Please send any info on parts and the smith, if you are able to message me, and ryche_me, too, if you would be so kind. Is there a list of what is needed anywhere? And, oh yes, I'm sure that they garner attention...I think I might get a warning for the descriptor that comes to mind for it.

I am very interested and I tried to message you, Brian, but got this, "The member Brian Alpert cannot receive any new messages". Maybe a full mailbox? Please send any info on parts and the smith, if you are able to message me, and ryche_me, too, if you would be so kind. Is there a list of what is needed anywhere? And, oh yes, I'm sure that they garner attention...I think I might get a warning for the descriptor that comes to mind for it.

Something is wrong with the message center. Try brian.alpert@louisville.edu