David Barteltt

Magazine Door Operation

15 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I recently acquired this nice Johnson Rifle, that has been sitting in a basement for many years. I've noticed that the magazine door gets stuck in the down position. I've noticed that several rifles (in photos) have a small spring on the hinge. Am I missing this or is this a modification?

Thanks,

David

post-733-127291731256_thumb.jpg

Sorry, but at this time, I do not have any mag door springs. Have occasion requests but not enough to be worth making the special dies for forming the springs. Having the door in the closed position is essential, as it positions the rounds for the bolt to feed them.

Just checked Numrich (www.gunpartscorp.com) and they are sold out as well

Looks like Sarco is out of stock too. I've seen a few made from a coil spring which might get you by until you find one.

Hello all,

I recently acquired this nice Johnson Rifle, that has been sitting in a basement for many years. I've noticed that the magazine door gets stuck in the down position. I've noticed that several rifles (in photos) have a small spring on the hinge. Am I missing this or is this a modification?

Thanks,

David

Dave

Let me check but I believe I have several extra of these. I should be off nights by the

end of the week. I'll know more by the weekend. Stay tuned

walt

Hey If Walt dosn't have it i might! Gotta find my stuff again. The pin should be avlb. through gun parts. if not i might have an extra also. It dosnt have the top hat for the rear but it works fine in the front. I will check for a mag spring as i am resorting my shop to make space to move in my sister in law ( don't ask ) so all m,y parts stash is now in the open. Let me know what you need and i'll see if i can help. P.S. If any body has an extra pin with the top hat i could use two. or one what ever as i broke one not long ago. Any one who knows what i'm working on will understand that MR. JOHNSON is up and running test fired fine. Some one has a muzzle break i could really use get in touch. thanks RYCHE

Hey If Walt dosn't have it i might! Gotta find my stuff again. The pin should be avlb. through gun parts. if not i might have an extra also. It dosnt have the top hat for the rear but it works fine in the front. I will check for a mag spring as i am resorting my shop to make space to move in my sister in law ( don't ask ) so all m,y parts stash is now in the open. Let me know what you need and i'll see if i can help. P.S. If any body has an extra pin with the top hat i could use two. or one what ever as i broke one not long ago. Any one who knows what i'm working on will understand that MR. JOHNSON is up and running test fired fine. Some one has a muzzle break i could really use get in touch. thanks RYCHE

I remember that one Johnson SLR that I bought had a replacement spring for the Mag door, it looked like a spring that was used on a close pin. Didnt look pretty, but it worked.

Did you ever find the correct part?

Dave

You might check with Jim at S.O.G. Armory--there's a remote chance that he might have the spring.

jim@sogarms.net

Good luck,

B.T.

Hey I have the front pin and the mag spring in my parts box. Contact me if you need them. haven't been on lately as life yet once again gets in the way. If you need them , i got them. RYCHE

I too am missing the Mag cover spring for my Johnson. Numrich is still sold out. I am checking with SARCO. Does anyone have a suggestion for a source?

I could use a replacement barrel as well, because the barrel on my rifle has been shortened. It shoots really well, however, so the replacement barrel isn't a necerssity, but finding that Mag cover spring or a diagram of it so I can have one made is.

Thank you.

Mike

I would have to check as i traded several last year.

let me see what i still have left.

You will have to talk to Joe about a barrel or Brian might have one i don't know.

Will let you know on the spring.

Ryche

Thanks everyone. It's also missing the pin forward of the mag. You can see in the picture.

You are all very helpful, thanks a million.

David

No one has mentioned it but I don't think it's good to fire the rifle if there is no front pin at all in that hole in front of the magazine. Some sporterized Johnsons used a pin that has no head on it. The replacement sporter wood forestock covered the area of the pin.