Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mitch J

Barrel and Stock

12 posts in this topic

Looking at an original Barrel and Butt Stock for a Johnson SLR.

Wood is very nice, a couple of dings and a small chip but no cracks, Three holes in the plate end, no hardware included.

Barrel, finish kind of thin, original with correct markings, has Sight and Bayo lug, Barrel guide and Bushing.

He wants $800 for the pair,

A reasonable price? I havent seen too many for sale lately, What do you think? Should I bite?

Looking at an original Barrel and Butt Stock for a Johnson SLR.

Wood is very nice, a couple of dings and a small chip but no cracks, Three holes in the plate end, no hardware included.

Barrel, finish kind of thin, original with correct markings, has Sight and Bayo lug, Barrel guide and Bushing.

He wants $800 for the pair,

A reasonable price? I havent seen too many for sale lately, What do you think? Should I bite?

The operative sentence is "haven't seen too many", but the condition and caliber of the barrel will justify that price if in very good condition. Still, a "fair" price is always is up to the buyer though isn't it? Best,

John

If the bore is OK $800 is a steal. Original bbls with decent bores often go for $1000. Replacement bbls are $600.

An original barrel and stock together at $800 is in my opinion (which ain't worth much) a good deal. Go for it whilst they're still available at that price!!

If you have thought about it this long,,,, you are thinking to long .... grab it......

The price is only how you keep score. That is a good deal all the way around. ;) ;) DO IT DO IT DO IT

Ryche

I replaced the Winfield "Deluxe" Sporter furniture on one of my JSARs. I used a "burled grain" stock which I bought from an individual in the midwest. I don't believe my "replacement" stock is an original military stock, but I'm no authority. Most of the "military" stocks I've seen have exhibited a straight grain. My replacement stock came with an obvious "aftermarket" reproduced buttplate. It just looked too good. The metal of the buttplate was very shiney and the cross hatching doesn't match the original exactly. Only an expert would notice the difference.

These are mine with the "replacement" stock at the top and the "Deluxe" Winfield wood at the bottom.

gallery_695_1_3891.jpg

This is from the auction for comparison.

pix490135153.jpg

It is a nice looking stock and the one I used was a definite improvement over the Winfield in my humble opinion. I also requested some extra photos of the barrel in the auction. The seller sent me pictures of three of his Johnsons, and the barrels for comparison. I thought I saw some "marks" on the feed ramp area of the chamber, but in the additional pictures I couldn't see any faults...must have been shadows that I was seeing. I won't be bidding against you, just in case you wondered. I've already got a couple of extra barrels and the extra Winfield stock, plus several "NOS" 98% finished forearms.

M48TANKER

Here's a close-up of my stock. If you really look, you can see where the "cross bar", which secures the recoil buffer tube, has been plugged. The grain hides the little circular plug pretty well

gallery_695_1_18091.jpg

Fancy stock was probably made by Fagen (out of business). The pistol grip is wrong shape and the swivel is from a 1903. Any stock with a plugged cross key is definitely not original.