Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dash

What happened here?

11 posts in this topic

Looking at the first few pics...missing rear sling swivel, no big deal. A few screws look wrong. Holes drilled in magazine, prolly an ex California gun and done to limit capacity OR done for hunting purposes. Then I started wondering why the bayonet lug and front sight weren't shown. Then....I saw the rest of the pics. UGH! At first I thought the seller didn't have the camera lens set wide enough...nope, that barrel was chopped OR a much shorter barrel was fitted.

Doesn't appear any holes were drilled/tapped in the receiver for a scope. So what gives with chopping a barrel like that?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=427811894

Don't know why they chopped barrel but it will have a very loud muzzle blast. Also gun looks refinished (too uniform light color) and long magazine pins are in wrong. Missing front pin retainer and looks like mag door spring may be non original. I have NOS magazines for the drilled one. A good potential for correct restoration.

I saw most of that too. The butt stock does have a crack running forward from that missing sling swivel screw. The sight appears to be a reproduction to include the riser. Like Joe said: a good candidate for a restoration. I've got everything on hand to put it back original but I'm not in the market for any more guns. That's what I always tell myself just before spending a bunch of money for yet another firearm. Collecting is indeed a passion.

And....as we all know.....it was NOT manufactured by IVER Johnson.....etc. etc.

What a mess,,, I would give no more than $1000 for it, just for useable parts. It looks to me that the stock has also been cut slightly shorter. Hope the new owner is happy with it. The seller really needs to do his homework. :) Ryche

No new owner yet . Up to $3000 but reserve not met . I think he has pie-in -the -sky expectations . Chris

I bet there are holes drilled for the scope mount under that Numrich replacement rear sight

Reached $4305 and did not make the reserve!! Must be something there that I am not seeing.

Nope there were no matching serial guns. From what we understand both nonprefix and prefix #ered guns were built at the same time. There is a possibility that any particular rifle might have a matching # or two but fully matching has been put together by someone else. Ryche