Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tricky9914

Looking High and Low for a Johnson Rifle!

23 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am new to this site. I have been a long time collector of WWII era firearms, and now am in search of a M1941 Johnson. Does anyone have a good source as to where I can locate one for sale? I have tried Gunbroker, Auctionarms, Gunsamerica, Gunboards, CMP Forum and now here. I cannot seem to find any reasonable deals on a military correct, unaltered example. I am looking to spend between $4k-$4.5k... All I tend to find are blued rifles in repro stocks, or originals with $6k+ tags and no takers.

Any help would be great! Does anyone have one for sale or know of a local shop in their area?
Thanks!

I'm afraid I spent more than your range back in '05 for a very nice one , and that was a bargain price back then .You are prob'ly going to have to raise your price range or lower your expect ions unless you stumble onto someone who either doesn't know the value of what they have or has to have $$$ right now . You might luck out , I picked up a 520-30 trench with no handguard and a rubber pad for $150. Butt plate that fit exactly was $25 ( went through a box of about 30 before finding a match , stock had not been cut ) . Then about 10 years later I stumbled on a handguard for $ 300 . So for $475 I have a trench gun worth several thousand .

Good luck . Chris

Thanks for the note! One went on Gunbroker at a Buy It Now for $4k in original condition, and one on the CMP forum for $4.5. I just missed both of these by several hours, but they were both just in the past month - so these deals do exist... I actually tend to see them go in the $4k range more often then I see them sell in the 5-6k range.... I just need to be around when the deals pop up! LOL.

Nice story on the trench gun! I actually got a M1897 Winchester in origianl and complete WWI era condition (non-takedown) in about 80% condition for $1,600 about 6 months ago. Love to stumble accross these finds!

Thanks again and take care!

Chris

Advertise in your local papers (major & trifty) for a Johnson. They were mail ordered for years and seem to be all over the country. I know of a case where the person found two in the first week at a very good price. Good luck.

Come to the NGD Show in Louisville next weekend. There are usually a few there. I will have a table and will be happy to talk Johnsons with you. I am usually located in section D or E-3. It will be a big display of JLMG and Dror Look-a-likes and some JSARs. If you are going to drop 4 or 5 thou, you need to know what you are doing or buy from someone reputable who will take it back if not as advertised. Most sellers know little about them...except they are worth a lot....and would not know original from hump-up.

Brian,

Thanks from the offer! I am definitley planning on making it down there. I have heard great things about that show. I will find you and introduce myself - I would be excited, at the very least, to see your table of goodies!

Thanks again!

Chris

Just saw a JSAR at the Sar show in Phoenis AZ. The seller wanted $11,000. 00 It was in nice shape and a B prefix but not 11 Grand nice.... And the seller was all excited over the fact that the Rec. and the bolt had matching numbers.... She was telling me just how rare these guns are as i reshouldered my civilian Winfield and i replied, about the time she noticed i was selling a Johnson as well,

that i knew how rare they are, but not $11,000 rare. I don't think she liked me very much. ;) Good luck at the show Brian should be able to help you find a good one. Ryche

Tricky...

Best that you do try and attend the show, meet with Brian, and bring your listening ears and memory....it will turn out to be a very informative and fun experience.

Best wishes in your search

ArtR

Hey Brian!
Planning on hitting the National Gun Day show on Sunday. Will you be around? Also, do you happen to know the address of the location? Can't seem to find an address online. It is open until 3:00PM on Sunday, right?

Thanks!
Chris

For Ryche_me, above,.....as I'm sure you know, the likelyhood of any parts numbers matching from the factory is nil on a Johnson, unless someone gets lucky, has access to a bunch of Johnsons and is able to switch the bolt.

Chris,

Sorry I missed your post. Did not have computer access overt the weekend. Show was small for NGD but pretty good. I had the only JSARs and LMG look-a-likes. Sold 1 and talked Johnsons a lot. Next show is Feb 28-Mar 1. Ky State Fairgrounds which is on I-65 on the south side of Louisville. This is the biggest show in these parts and draws dealers (and exhibitors) from all over the country and buyers from all over the world. There are usually many JSARs there. Try to make it. Joseph Scott may come also.

Brian

Hey Ed: Yeah i tried to explain that fact to her but she was insistent that because it had a matching bolt that made it worth more :) Some people just refuse to learn. When i asked to pick it up to look at it, she said "what is it you want to see"??? I replied " the other side and the serial number" So she picked it up and showed it to me, i was never allowed to touch the rifle at all. The whole incident was just ridiculous...

I had alot of guys walk up and ask about the one i had for sale, almost couldn't eat lunch from talking and answering so many questions :) Also met my fair share of experts that have never touched one.

I did have a guy who told me he carried one in Afghanistan. I looked at him and said how is that possible?? He showed me a photo of him in Afghanistan a year or two ago in uniform with his M-16 strapped to his back and holding a 41 JSAR with a big smile.. He said "the guy i took it from didn't need it anymore" He carried it for a short time and through alot of paper work was allowed to ship it home. I was stunned,, what a crazy place to find a 41JSAR in functional condition. WOW

Ryche

OK -Ryche -I'd say you were BS'ing me if I don't know you as the upstanding member of JSAR that I've seen - How the eff did ia JSAr get to Afghanistan?
Mitch - you are probably too right - expect a flood of "documented" Afghanistan JSAR's...

No " BS" man i wouldn't have believed it either until i saw the pictures... I was just as blown away just how in the he*l did a 41 JSAR get into Afghanistan????

That makes his piece kinda unique and i hope there is not a flood of "documented" pieces coming in.

Just the fact that he was finally allowed to bring it home was amazing, i'm glad it wasn't destroyed over there, you know how we are these days about our guys bringing stuff home from combat.

Ryche

You may be surprised (as I was) to learn that Afghanistan has been a center of the gun trade for 150 years. Everyone carried guns and they were traded quite openly on the street. The bazars had multiple small time gunsmiths and dealers. Guns of almost every variety from anywhere in the world could be found and acquired. At least that was the way it was 50 years ago. My father knew a fellow school teacher who did a couple years there with some international or US Aid agency in the 50's. He brought back several "collectibles" purchased in these bazars. One of the things I acquired from him from his time in Afghanistan was a 1875 Remington Frontier from the Egyptian contract. I still have it. I remember him telling me that one could find virtually any kind of military firearm from any age there.

JSARs have been found in Korea during the Korean war as battlefield pickups, in Vietnam as battlefield pickups and, as expected, in Indonesia. Aside from those captured from the Dutch forces the OSS favored them and probably left some in Asia.

Let us not forget that they were a favorite with the CIA in surreptitiously arming various anticommunist groups in the 50's....reliable US made arms not associated or manufactured by the US Government. The invasion force at the Bay of Pigs was armed with scoped JSARs

Surprised would be a good way to put it... Thanks for the info Brian, considering what i know about some of the gun trade around the world, all that never occurred to me.

I never knew about the scoped models in the bay of pigs, do you know where i can find more info on that?

Thanks for the heads up i love learning new things

Ryche

post-12-0-93362600-1419619833_thumb.jpgpost-12-0-93362600-1419619833_thumb.jpgThis picture was from Time magazine showing the Cuban exiles armed with scoped JSARs

I would surmise that a lot of the Johnson rifles used by the Bay of Pigs invasion force where scooped up by the Castro forces as seen in this picture. Maybe a lot of 41’s in Cuba?

I have a 1941 johnson I will be selling and it it up for grabs here first as my health is going bad and will be unable to use or be able to get around to dispersing them my family are hunters not colectors The only thing from keeping it from bringing top dollar is the stock not a sporter but modified pistol grip condition is original other wise 80 to 85 percent Im unable to post pic,s as I am only with lap top a serial number 30-06 make a resonable offers

The picture above is of the victorious Fidel Castro following his defeat of Batista in 1959. Some of his revolutionaries are armed with JSARs. The one in the picture does not have a scope. Fidel is holding up what appears to be a scoped bolt action with a cheek piece stock. There is also a M1 in the picture.