sledge101

Serial Number S-6 Rifle?

36 posts in this topic

There is a Johnson on the milsurp forum of Canadian Gun Nutz with serial number S-6. No Dutch contract stamp. Does anyone know the history behind the S-serials? Samples right? Early prototypes?

The member who owns this Johnson was told to apply for membership here. If he doesn't join I'll ask his permission to post the photos.

Its in rough shape (bad pitting/rust on most of the surfaces, a few big cracks in the stock) but looks complete. As sledge101 said it has "S-6" stamped where the serial number would normally be.

I picked up this 1941 Johnson Rifle and I am looking for some info on it. It was made the first day of production and is the 6th rifle off the line. I have no extra info on it other then that.

Whats it worth?

Should I restore it or leave it?

Shoot it?

How rare is it?

Thanks in advance

10170898_10152413421101054_3393169602166

10304982_10152413426721054_5389592112656

10305973_10152413420756054_8646764394989

10174967_10152413420856054_5057543829530

20140522_181112_zps5c86b207.jpg

I believe that giving it a good cleaning and getting off any more rust or gunk is as far as i would go. A full restoration might bring down the value. As soon as some of the others chime in you should get a better idea. Ryche

Does it actually shoot? If not, can it be shipped legally into the USA to a licensed dealer?

Does it actually shoot? If not, can it be shipped legally into the USA to a licensed dealer?

It was shot once with a blank and worked. I sort of like it. Would it be a bad idea to make it a shoot? Is there any records out there about this rifle?

In the article below, they mention S-1 to S-5 here. Was S-6 the next?

http://milpas.cc/rifles/ZFiles/Semi-automatic%20Rifles/US/Johnson%20Carbine/Johnson%20Carbine.htm

Only five Auto-Carbines are known to have been fabricated by Johnson Automatics. The tops of the receivers were roll-stamped with the standard M1941 Johnson rifle markings. The serial numbers were indi­vidually applied and had an "S" prefix (for "Sample") with the five numbers presumably running consecu­tively from "S-1" to "S-5."

My E-mail is edwardr.johnson72@gmail.com If interested in selling it as a non-shooter, and shipping it to USA at my cost, let me know. It looks like it might have been cobbled together a long time ago. I see no rear sight or fittings. ej

Remember the Auto -carbine was never a full auto rifle. The terms then are different than they are now, much like the .45 auto was a semi auto 1911 pistol. Also the S1 through the S5 in the article applies to the carbine and not the rifle. The guess is there were several S models of the rifle also. One of them was discussed on this forum not long ago when parts popped up on gun broker. I wish i had a nice rifle to try and trade this gentleman as it sounds like he wants a good shooter. Ryche

Agreed. And if everything was original on the rifle as to the date of manufacture, verified by factory records, that would increase the value of the rifle considerably, shooter or not. What factory records exist that substantiate the provinance of S- 6?

Interestingly enough, the production log lists only 12 rifles produced to completion in the 1st 100 serial numbers, beginning with #10. Consecutive numbered rifles, still with occasional blanks (skipped numbers) began at 101. As the available serial numbers progressed, fewer skipped numbers occurred so that by the 400 range, there were few. Reasons for this??? Defective receivers early in production which were scrapped?

Overall, what does it mean and what is known at this point?

Is S-6 listed in the log book?

Is S-6 a Sample Model for the M1941 Rifle?

Is S-6 a Scrapped receiver?

Is S-6 a Mystery?

I think Brian is saying that it is not listed in the available records and it is still a mystery at this time. With the external corrosion, I would inspect it internally carefully. Check the firing pin and that its return spring collar is in correct location. Also main spring, buffer and follower. Chamber is likely pitted also. If only it could talk?

The surviving production log lists numbers 0001-9999 with the rifles and part numbers assigned to each number. At least one number was assigned to a receiver only with no additional components listed. As noted, not all the numbers were used. The meaning of this is uncertain. Did the unassigned numbers belong to scrapped receivers? Were the unassigned numbers being reserved for some special purpose? The log had no mention or listing of "S" rifles.

Mr. Baker, your initial comment was: "I picked up this 1941 Johnson Rifle and I am looking for some info on it. It was made the first day of production and is the 6th rifle off the line. I have no extra info on it other then that." 1) How do you know S-6 was made the first day of production? 2) How do you know it is the 6th rifle off the line? 3) Where did you "pick up" the rifle? What was the source? Maybe if we start there, we can solve part of the mystery.

Not to be a speculator here--- but no records mean no records !! maybe if you could bet sheets on the other S rifles and see what numbers are on the parts but i would think this rifle looks like it has a bunch of use and abuse on it- So maybe you could track it back through former owners and maybe see where it originated from??

Isn't there a Dutch acceptance mark on Johnson barrels too? Maybe check the barrel to see if one exists there. That would be very easy to do. What about the sling. I know it's a long shot(pun intended)but if the sling is a U.S. Military pattern sling it may have a maker's mark on it. Looking at the screws on it, they is no abuse apparent. While the rifle looks well used, it was serviced by someone who owned a good screwdriver? If the rifle was in Canada all along, that might give a clue to it's former service. Whatever.....That rifle does have a ton of charm.

Interesting to say the least. I have several seperate components in my collection stamped S-7. The factory films I have show an auto carbine being shot but unfortunetly there were no closeups of this rifle. I also believe there are some pictures of one of these rifles I saw some time ago. But again I don't remember the serial number. Once I locate the pictures I'll post them to the site. walt